Monday, April 13, 2009

Whoa Whoa Whoa: Slow down Iodoral

Howdy My Fellow Health Seekers---

Update: so it appears that I have a sizeable iodine deficiency, which is the likely culprit for a host of health-related issues including a multi-nodular goiter, wonky metabolism, and fatigue.

The Good News: I started taking Iodoral and feel very positive that iodine supplementation is going to help cure my multi-nodular goiter, increase my thyroid function and help with overall health.

So why, then, do I feel like ca-ca doo doo?

Ahh, the glories of detox. Bromide detox, to be exact. Turns out that iodine helps the body to flush out flouride, bromide and mercury, which is great news in the long run but not so great at the beginning.

You might be asking yourself: does this spell the end of her iodine supplmentation? Heck no, I'm just going to follow the guidelines below when taking Iodoral. They are from the http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/ webite, which is a wealth of information on iodine supplementation for both the thyroid and the breasts.

Bromide Detox in Iodine Users
Some people supplementing iodine have reported symptoms consistent with "bromism" or bromide detox as catalogued by the Department of Defense's Rand Corporation Report on the Gulf War as well as published dermatology , toxicology and psychiatry literature.

Where does all this detoxed bromide coming out our tissues come from? Please look at the evidence of the increasing bromide dominance condition in our environment and products.

Because iodine was not supplemented much before the last three years, few physicians have had a chance to look closely at the occasional symptoms which arise from iodine supplementation (still called "iodism") and raise questions.

Might the historical observation of iodism be due principally to massive amounts of stored bromine leaving the tissues and entering the bloodstream? Is it possible the apparent adverse effects of iodine are due almost exclusively due to bromide excretion, and not enough iodine-alone effects can be documented to qualify as an "ism" ?

Might the iodism phenomenon be more appropriately called "bromism"?**

For those using iodine therapeutically, these symptoms are NOT common, are usually TRANSIENT in nature and are easily usually remedied by a salt loading procedure, variations of which have been used for many years. One of the principal therapeutic actions of iodine is the removal of toxic bromide from the body, so bromide detox is necessary. The objective of orthoidiosupplementation is to promote detox while at the same time keeping symptoms at a tolerable level.

Many of the Breast Cancer Choices' Iodine Investigation Project registrants also found the following suggestions helpful if bromide detox symptoms were not tolerable.

Consult your doctor before implementing the strategies below:

Bromide Detox Strategies
1. Salt Loading.
2. Stopping iodine for 48 hours to rest the kidneys.
3. Reducing the iodine dose temporarily, then working back up.
4. Taking several grams vitamin C spread out throughout the day along with the Ioding Companion Nutrients (see website for these).
5. Drinking more water.
6. Pulse-dosing (stopping and restarting iodine therapy.)
7. According to Iodine users with skin symptoms, adding 25 mg zinc often helps.

Iodine-related bromide symptoms may include but are not be limited to:
eye lid twitching
foot twitching
tingling in hands or feet
dark thoughts (e.g., there is no reason to live)
depression (e.g., there is no reason to get out of bed)
anxiety
emotionality
mouth and tongue sores and cuts or "sore mouth"
"different" acne,"bromide acne," "acne-like eruptions" without "coniform." (Some iodine users found zinc helps bromide acne.)skin "cuts"
hair loss
brain fogleg

ETC. For more symptoms and references, check out the website.

Here's the downlow on Salt Loading:

William Shevin, MD, uses a specific protocol to clear bromide detox symptoms if they occur while taking iodine. Dr Shevin presented his Salt Loading Protocol at the February '07 Iodine conference:

  1. 1/4 teaspoon salt in 1/2 cup warm water followed immediately with 12-16 oz water.
  2. Repeat in 30-45 minutes X 2 until copious urination begins.
  3. Observe subjective response (usually within several hours).

Be sure to ask your doctor before implementing this or any medical strategy.

I've tried this today: I halved my Iodoral dose and did the salt loading. I'm having good results so far and will keep you posted.

Very best and remember: think to your health.

Marie

P.S.
Here's a great post I found when I Googled "iodine heavy metals"

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=68229.0;wap2

2 comments:

Heather said...

How long do the symptoms last? I haven't had bromated flour in ages because I'm gluten free, and I don't have flouridated water, so I don't think I have a ton of things to detox from, but I've started having symptoms like runny nose, headache, tiredness, salt cravings, tender breasts...

Robin said...

I was told I had too much bromide in my body. I was put on Lugol's iodine 12.5mg. I started with a half a pill and was told after 2 weeks increase to a whole pill. I tried a couple of times but got seriously ill each time. I could not get out of bed. I was on this for 5 weeks. Beginning of 5th week my gastric system went biserk! My throat to my anus was on fire. I was having bouts of depression and panic attacks. I started losing weight quickly and I was sweating profusely. Bottom line, if someone puts you on this process you need to ask a lot of questions. You need to be monitored closely. Iodine can be very dangerous to your system. I have read almost everything there is to read on the internet about bromide detox and iodine. No one really tells you the truth. All I read is how fabulous iodine is for you and your thyroid. Be careful, it can really mess you up in a big way!